Armed and dangerous
The Canadian Press – Dec 2, 2022 / 8:52 am | Story: 399518
Photo: The Canadian Press
The New Brunswick RCMP have issued an emergency alert warning residents about armed and dangerous suspects, following a double shooting at a trailer park west of Fredericton.
The Mounties say the suspects were last seen in the Oromocto area, about 20 kilometres southeast of Fredericton, in a blue Honda Civic with New Brunswick licence plate JIH 633.
A spokeswoman for Fredericton police said the two shooting victims were taken to hospital Friday morning and were expected to recover from their injuries. Sonya Gilks said one person was arrested after the shooting, but she did not release any details.
At one point, some homes were evacuated and an emergency response team was dispatched to an area on the outskirts of Fredericton.
“We don’t believe there’s a threat to the public,” Gilks said in an interview. “It’s not random.”
Residents were later allowed to return to their homes in the Hanwell and Pine Grove trailer park around 10:30 a.m.
Earlier in the morning, the RCMP issued a brief statement on social media saying Mounties were part of the same police operation in the Leafwood Crescent area of the trailer park.
At 6:52 a.m. AST, the RCMP issued a statement on Twitter saying the incident did not meet the criteria for an Alert Ready message. Those messages are broadcast on radio and TV stations, as well as sent to most smartphones.
However, an RCMP Alert Ready message about armed suspects was broadcast at 10:47 a.m.