US congressman George Santos steps down from committees | US News
A US congressman who lied about his previous has stepped down from key committees on Capitol Hill.
George Santos has resisted requires his resignation as a member of the US House of Representatives after it emerged he fabricated claims about his background.
Amid growing strain to step down, he has now introduced that he will likely be “temporarily recused from committee assignments”.
“With the ongoing attention surrounding both my personal and campaign financial investigations, I have submitted a request to Speaker McCarthy that I be temporarily recused from my committee assignments until I am cleared,” he mentioned in an announcement.
“This was a choice that I take very severely. The enterprise of the 118th Congress should proceed with out media fanfare.
George Santos: The reality about Republican ‘fraud’ and what the longer term holds for him
“It is important that I primarily focus on serving the constituents of New York’s Third Congressional District and providing federal level representation without distraction.”
He added: “I want to personally thank Speaker McCarthy for meeting with me to discuss the matter and allowing me to take time to properly clear my name before returning to my committees.
“To my constituents, I stay dedicated to serving the district, and delivering outcomes for each New York’s Third Congressional District and for the American folks.”
The 34-year-old House of Representatives member had been given positions on congressional committees for science and small enterprise.
Mr Santos was elected to the House of Representatives in November, however his quick profession in workplace has been dogged by continued revelations of falsehoods in his self-penned backstory.
On prime of persistent questions on falsehoods surrounding his previous employment, schooling, and household background, Mr Santos is going through separate investigations into his monetary affairs and marketing campaign funds.
What claims has Santos made?
- He claimed his grandparents survived the holocaust, however genealogical analysis discovered no proof they’d Jewish ancestry. Mr Santos subsequently claimed by no means to have claimed to be Jewish, solely “Jew-ish”.
- He mentioned his mom was within the World Trade Centre throughout the 9/11 assaults, however immigration information present she wasn’t within the nation on the time.
- His declare to have been a Wall Street banker has been discredited by the employers he listed on his CV.
- He mentioned he was a volleyball star at New York’s Baruch College, but it surely mentioned it had no report of him.
- Drag performers in Brazil say they bear in mind Mr Santos as a drag queen, named Kitara Ravache. When questioned, Mr Santos advised reporters he merely had “fun at a festival”.
‘Deceit, lies and fabrication’
Calls for Mr Santos to resign as a congressman have been made by Republicans in addition to his Democrat opponents.
In the district the place he was elected, New York’s Nassau County, native Republicans have referred to as for him to face down, calling his election marketing campaign considered one of “deceit, lies and fabrication”.
Santos accused of taking cash from veteran’s fundraiser
Parallels between chaos of Republicans and UK Conservatives
Santos, nevertheless, nonetheless enjoys the backing of senior Republicans on Capitol Hill, who want his seat to take care of a slim majority within the House of Representatives.